Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Lesson 7: I've Been to Harlem!

Grade: 3
Musical Concept:  Rhythm vs. Beat
Time: 25 minutes
Element: Meter

Materials: Ikea cups

National Music Standard:  Performing

Specific National Standards:
MU:Pr5.1.3 a. Apply teacher-provided and collaboratively-developed criteria and feedback to evaluate accuracy of ensemble performances.
MU:Pr5.1.3 b. Rehearse to refine technical accuracy, expressive qualities, and identified performance challenges.

Objectives:
Students will be able to keep a rhythm and work as a team to pass their cups around the circle.

Procedure:
  1. Jump in with "Hello There" as a hello song.
    1. Invite a small group of students to lead the song with or without you.
  2. Today we're going to learn a song called "I've Been to Harlem" and a cup game that goes with it!
    1. Move to a sitting circle at on the rug.
  3. Let's keep the beat while I sing.
  4. Introduce the rhythm pattern on body percussion.
    1. Clap Clap, pat pat pat, Clap, pat pat
    2. Do that until the students have it down with you singing.
    3. Invite students to sing if they feel comfortable doing the rhythm at the same time.
  5. Transfer body percussion to the cups.
    1. Before passing out the cups, explain that when we have the cups out we have to be sure to follow instructions and leave the cups on the ground.  We cannot put these cups near our mouths at any time.  Any student using the cup inappropriately will be asked to sit out.
    2. Sing while passing the cups out one at a time.  First explain that we will grab, pass, grab, pass until the cups get all the way around the circle.  Then we'll keep singing and passing the cups in the circle until I hold up my fist (like this).
    3. After stopping, remind the students of the body percussion by doing it once.  Then ask the students to watch closely while you show them how we will do something very similar but with the cups.
    4. Do the percussion with the cup, and pass it at the end.  Point out that at the end, we will pass the cups the same direction as we were just a minute ago.  Then do the percussion with the cup while singing the song.
    5. Do the percussion while chanting "clap clap, pat pat pat, clap, grab, pass" a few times as a whole class, then move into singing when the students are comfortable.
  6. Comment on how well the students behaved with the cups in front of them, how well they kept the rhythm going while singing or listening to others sing a different rhythm.

Reflection:

This lesson went very well!  The students have improved their skills at keeping the beat and that made me feel comfortable giving them a challenge - doing a different rhythm while they sing.  Today not every student was able to sing and play the rhythm, but many were after several repetitions.  The main thing I loved about this lesson was how engaged the students were and how much fun they were having.  They enjoyed working together to pass their cups and were so supportive of each other when their classmates were struggling.  The students improved significantly over the course of the lesson as we rehearsed by going slower.  Their accuracy improved and some were able to sing while doing their rhythm.  One thing that could have gone better about this lesson was driving home the difference between beat and rhythm.  I mentioned it at the beginning and the end, but I am unsure if the students really understood what I meant.  I could have tied the activity more strongly to the elements of music by having half the class keep the beat while the other have plays the rhythm.  I got caught up in the fun activity, rather than focusing on the content I wanted the students to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment